Thursday, March 8, 2018

Homemade Caramel Sauce - Easy

I've always, my entire life, used store-bought caramel sauce. Or even better, I cheated and melted those caramel candy squares with heavy whipping cream. (It never came out quite right.) I just thought that's how caramel worked and I would never be able to actually make caramel sauce like they do on fancy cooking shows. (Hello Cupcake Wars, I'm looking at you.)

However! After much trial and error, and a little input from my good friend, I have finally mastered the art of caramel making. I even did it simply so that others who are struggling with making caramel sauce on their own won't have to go through four batches before getting it right. (The first three were just so hard!)

I hope you enjoy!

Easy Homemade Caramel Sauce
Serving: About 1 Cup

A Mason Jar Of Homemade Caramel Sauce with a Metal Spoon and Sliced Gala Apples On A Wooden Board

Ingredients:

1 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Water
2 Tablespoons Butter (I use unsalted)
3/4 cup Heavy Cream
1 teaspoon Vanilla (optional)

Instructions:

1. Add the sugar to the saucepan, then add the water to fully moisten the sugar.

2. Place the pan over medium heat and cool until the sugar dissolves and turns clear. It may take a few minutes.

3. Raise the heat to medium high and cook the caramel until it turns an amber color. Do NOT turn the heat to high because it will cause the caramel to seize and crystallize.

4. Turn the heat off and immediately add the heavy cream.

5. Add the butter and stir everything together until the caramel is smooth. If desired, add the vanilla extract.

6. Let the caramel sauce cool to room temperature nd then transfer to a jar to be refrigerated.

The caramel can be stored in the fridge for 1 month or in the freezer for 3 months.

NOTE!!

If you want to make a salted caramel, just add 1/2 teaspoon of salt at the end along with the vanilla extract.

A Slice Of Gala Apple Dipped Into A Mason Jar Of Homemade Caramel Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment